Last week’s challenge was another, errr…challenge. I was left to my own devices and trying to come up with something Sabrina would like at the last minute. But we got it done! Sabrina once again filmed while I cooked frantically and made some substitutions. In the end, we made a simple but yummy Ground Lamb and Rice dish originally taken from Cooks.com site. I didn’t have any tomatoes or squash, so I swapped in some other items. Here’s the recipe we ended up with and as you’ll see in the up coming video, Sabrina even liked the onions!! Sorry there are no photos, we were hungry!
Ground Lamb and Rice – Careystlye
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes, tops
Eating Time: We were hungry, it went fast
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1/2 lg. onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup pasta sauce (your choice)
- 1 Portobella Mushroom
- Olive Oil (yum!)
- Rice cooked for 4
How To Cook It:
- In a small fry pan, heat olive oil on medium and then saute the sliced mushroom. I like to slice it in long strips and then cut those in half for this recipe. About 3 minutes should do it. Set aside
- Oh yeah, start your rice and cook as you like or as the package tells you to.
- In a medium fry pan, heat olive oil and brown the ground lamb.
- Add in onions and cook another couple minutes until they are getting soft
- Add cinnamon (yes, cinnamon….I thought it was odd but it turns out great!), wine and pasta sauce
- Mix all that up for a minute or two then throw on the mushroom, stirring for another 1 minute
- Heat up the backed beans. I know, they don’t really fit, so leave them out if you don’t want them.
- Serve lamb mixture over rice with beans on the side!